Boulevard Trees


Woodbury has policies regulating the use of boulevard and easement areas. The boulevard (the distance from the curb to the property line) is part of the street right-of-way. It is used for sewer, water and street installation, and maintenance as well as electric, gas, telephone, and cable TV lines. The boulevard is typically 13 feet in residential neighborhoods. In addition, there is typically a 10-foot easement along the front and back property lines and 5 feet on the side property lines. Boulevard and easement areas are designed for public utilities, stormwater drainage, and the storage of snow plowed from the street. Items such as rocks, posts, trees, etc., should not be placed in these areas.

Trees that are considered boulevard trees and maintained by the Streets Division are located in the Woodbury Heights, Park Hills, and Royal Oaks subdivisions. If the city must remove boulevard trees in these areas, a tree replacement program is available to residents. Other subdivisions within the city have been provided front yard trees by the project developer; these are planted behind the boulevard area. These trees are the property owner's responsibility. The most current practice in new developments east of Bielenberg Drive calls for trees to be planted on the boulevard and that they are privately maintained by homeowner associations.

Before planting trees, residents should check with the Planning Department at 651-714-3533 to determine the minimum setback from the street curb. Lots on street corners have special requirements for landscaping. Any question relative to this policy for your street frontage should be addressed to the Public Works Department, 651-714-3720 or via email, or the Engineering Division, 651-714-3593 or via email.

Sight Obstruction

If you notice a sight obstruction at an intersection, such as tree branches or shrubs obstructing the line of vision, please call the Street Division at 651-714-3720 or via email. The obstruction will be investigated and, if found to be a safety issue, the property owner will be asked to trim or remove the obstruction.