Can I defer the assessment?

City policy allows deferred payment of special assessments for any homestead property owned by a person 65 years of age or older or retired due to a permanent and total disability for which it would be a hardship to make the payments. The policy determines your eligibility based on income and property value limits. 

A deferment does not reduce or forgive the amount owed, rather it postpones the payment. During the deferment, interest will accrue on the unpaid amount at the annual interest rate. The assessment plus interest will become due when you no longer qualify for the deferral. 

If you are interested in learning about the income, property value and other qualifying requirements for a deferral, send an email to Deb Score or call 651-714-3537. The policy and an application will be sent to you. 

Show All Answers

1. What are special assessments?
2. When is the assessment placed on my property?
3. For roadway rehabilitation projects, why does the city levy the assessments for the project before it starts?
4. What is the term of my assessment?
5. Can I defer the assessment?
6. What are the payment options?