Which government agency owns which traffic signals?

Within the city, traffic signals are generally owned by the City, Washington County, or the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT). The following rules are generally true, but there are exceptions:

  • Signals at interchange ramps and loops are owned by MnDOT.
  • Signals at all intersections involving at least one state road (e.g. Manning Avenue) are owned by MnDOT.
  • Signals at intersections involving a county road are owned by the county.
  • Signals at intersections that only include city roads are owned by the city.

To report a signal malfunction, contact the highway department responsible for the signals:

  • For city signals, contact the City of Woodbury Public Works Department at 651-714-3720.
  • For signals on state highways in Woodbury, contact MnDOT at 651-234-7500.
  • For signals on Washington County roads (Radio Drive, Woodbury Drive, Valley Creek Road, Century Avenue and Military Road) call Washington County Public Works at 651-430-4300.
  • In an emergency, dial 911.

Show All Answers

1. How do traffic signals work?
2. How much do traffic signals cost?
3. Will a traffic signal make an intersection safer?
4. How does the City decide where to install signals?
5. Why is the "Walk" light so short? I can only get halfway across before it starts flashing.
6. Why can't the signals be timed together to reduce delay?
7. What should drivers do when a traffic signal is flashing or all lights are dark?
8. How should drivers respond to a flashing yellow arrow?
9. Which government agency owns which traffic signals?