Bicyclists are required to follow all traffic laws and be aware of others when riding. Below are some suggestions for bicyclists to consider in order to increase safety.
- Always wear a helmet.
- Signal your intentions to motorists and other pedestrians.
- Increase visibility. Consider using lights and reflective stripes on you and your bike, especially after dark.
- Proceed with caution when crossing at street, trail, and driveway intersection.
- Announce your presence prior to passing other bicyclists or pedestrians on trails.
- Stop at stop signs and traffic signals.
- Bicyclists are encouraged to ride on multi-use trails located along major roads throughout the City. Multi-use trails are asphalt trails and are generally 10 feet wide. Bicyclists should avoid riding on sidewalks when possible. Sidewalks are generally constructed with concrete and are 5 feet wide in residential neighborhoods. Children may ride on the sidewalks.
- Ride on the right side of the road.
- Always lock your bike when it is unattended.