Action 2: Connect businesses with assistance providers, including utilities, who provide personalized energy, waste or sustainability audits and assistance.
In 2012, Woodbury was asked by Xcel Energy to be a pilot city in its new Powering Your Community initiative. The goal of the program was to build on existing relationships with residents and businesses and to spread the word about Xcel’s energy conservation programs.
Action 6: Promote green businesses that certify under a local, regional or national program.
The City of Woodbury Environmental Excellence Awards were established in 2008 to recognize businesses, organizations, and individuals that are making Woodbury a more sustainable community through innovative programs and practices that demonstrate environmental leadership.
Local businesses that have received the award and their area of recognition include:
- Harvey Vogel Manufacturing Co. – Sustainable Business Practices
- Prelude Senior Living Campus – Green Building
- Robert Muir Company – Use of Renewable or Alternative Energy
- Woodbury Lutheran Church – Energy Efficiency and Conservation
- Primrose School of Woodbury – Environmental Education & Awareness
- Robert Engstrom Companies – Green Building
- Pack & Mail – Waste Reduction & Recycling
- St. Croix Cleaners – Sustainable Business Practices
- Tamarack Village Shopping Center – Energy Efficiency and Conservation
- Kowalski’s Market – Waste Reduction & Recycling
- McDonald Construction – Residential Green Building
- P.M. Bedroom Gallery – Innovative Storm Water Management Practices
- Sam’s Club- Electronics Recycling
- Slumberland Furniture – Innovative Storm Water Management Practices
- Opus Northwest, LLC & Red Development LLC – Innovative Storm Water Management Practices.