The following is a list of the most common fire code violations. This list is intended as a guide to assist business owners in identifying common fire and life safety hazards. it does not list all possible code requirements.
- Exits are blocked, not operational or not properly placed.
- Exit signs are not lit or are damaged.
- Exit doors have unapproved locks on them.
- Emergency lighting non-operational.
- There are no address numbers on the exterior of the building.
- Fire department access is blocked.
- Fire alarm and sprinkler systems are not tested annually.
- The fire department connection is not accessible.
- Sprinkler system not supplying proper coverage.
- Fire alarm system not properly monitored.
- Fire extinguishers are not properly placed and/or serviced annually.
- Extension cords are used as permanent power.
- Electrical receptacles and switches are damaged or missing cover plates.
- Storage is placed in front of electrical panels.
- No MSDS sheets available for hazardous materials on site.
- Fire wall separations are damaged or are not in place.
- Hold open devices are placed on required fire doors.