Most of Woodbury is designated as no hunting. However, there are still limited locations in the city where hunting is allowed. To use these areas, all hunters are required to obtain landowner permission and complete a hunting permit.
Due to precautions related to coronavirus, our offices are closed and we are not accepting hunting permit applications in person. Please print and complete the hunting permit and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Woodbury Public Safety
2100 Radio Drive
Woodbury, MN 55125
We will return your approved permit back to you in the manner we received it.
The hunting access map was updated May 10, 2017. View the current Hunting Map.
Transporting your Firearm* or Controlled Weapon**
- When transporting your firearm* or controlled weapon** in a vehicle, it must be unloaded and in a fully enclosed and locked container in the trunk, or rear most portion of the vehicle, inaccessible to the occupants. Archery bows must either be in a fully enclosed case, or the bow must be unstrung.
- It is unlawful to possess, carry or transport a firearm* or controlled weapon** while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance.
- It is unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm* or controlled weapon** in any place or manner so as to endanger any person or property even if no injury or damage results.
- It is unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm* within a "closed area" designated by the City of Woodbury. The Woodbury Public Safety Department may grant a limited permit to allow the discharge of a firearm* by person(s) demonstrating a reasonable necessity for such action.
- It is unlawful within the "closed area" for any person on property not their own to possess, carry, or have under their control any firearm* except:
- To carry it between a residence or place of business and a vehicle for transportation in accordance with state law; or
- To carry it between a vehicle and a gun dealer or gunsmith shop
- In "open areas" it is unlawful to discharge any firearm* other than a shotgun. The maximum size shot that may be used in such designated areas is a No. 2 steel shot or smaller, or a No. 4 lead/Bismuch/tungsten/Hevi-Shot or smaller (smaller shot sizes smaller actually go up in numbers, i.e., shot 5, 6, 7, 8). The use of appropriate shot is also dictated by Minnesota Department of Natural Resources regulations. The use of shotgun slugs is prohibited. The Woodbury Public Safety Department may grant a limited permit to allow the discharge of a firearm* other than a shotgun or a shotgun with slugs.
- It is unlawful for any person to discharge any controlled weapon** in any residential platted/zoned area (R-2, R-4), or in any city park, on any school property, in any developed business, commercial or industrial area. The Woodbury Public Safety Department may grant a limited permit to allow the discharge of a controlled weapon**.
- It is unlawful for any person to possess, carry, or have under their control any firearm* upon the land of another without written permission, or be in the presence of, the landowner or lessee of the land. The person authorized to hunt/shoot must have in their possession the written permission. Written permission must be dated and include the following: the full name, address, date of birth, phone number, and signature of the person authorized to hunt or shoot on identified land; and the full name, address, phone number and signature of the landowner or lessee.
- It is unlawful for any person to possess, carry, or have under their control any controlled weapon** upon the land of another without the written permission, be in the presence of, or have the oral permission of the landowner or the lessee of the land. If the permission is oral, the person must be able to provide immediately the name, address and phone number of the owner or the lessee from which the permission was obtained. If requested, written verification of the oral permission must be produced within 72 hours.
- It is unlawful to hunt under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance.
- It is unlawful to discharge a firearm* or controlled weapon** across or within the right of way of any public roadway or highway.
- A limited permit is not valid unless it is signed and dated by a Woodbury Public Safety Department representative and in the possession of the authorized person(s) while in the field and at the time of contact.
- It is unlawful to use a controlled weapon**, or discharge a firearm* or controlled weapon**, in any area designated by the City as "Restricted" for hunting purposes without a permit therefore issued by the Public Safety Director based upon showing of reasonable need.
* A "firearm" is defined as any gun from which any projectile is discharged or propelled by means of an explosion, excluding devices used exclusively for the firing of stud cartridges, explosive rivets, or similar industrial apparatus, instruments, or equipment used by construction personnel, licensed physicians or veterinarians in the course or scope of their professions.
** "Controlled weapon" is defined as a gun, or any mechanical device from which a shot or projectile is discharged by means of gas, compressed air, or any other mechanical means capable of launching said projectile or arrow and includes, but is not limited to, pellet and BB guns, archery bows, crossbows, wrist rockets, slingshots and paint ball guns.
The above information is only a summary of Woodbury ordinances pertaining to hunting. Furthermore, if a person possesses a valid permit to carry, he/she is allowed to carry a firearm as described by state law. It shall be the person's responsibility to be aware of, and hunting within accordance of, all applicable city ordinances, state and federal laws as well as any applicable state game and fish rules and/or regulations.
For more information, see the city's Weapons Ordinance.
Please contact the Woodbury Public Safety Department between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at (651) 714-3600 or send an email to email@example.com for more information regarding the hunting regulations and obtaining a limited permit.