The City Council exercises the following powers and duties:
- Legislates for the city, passes ordinances, sets administrative policy.
- Directs enforcement of ordinances, determines the level of service, purchases equipment for city use.
- Approves the hiring of personnel.
- Manages financial operations by levying taxes, approving budgets, auditing expenditures, borrowing money.
- Guides development in accordance with the comprehensive land use plan.
- Appoints persons to administrative and advisory boards and commissions.
- Conducts city inter-governmental affairs.
- Protects the long-range welfare of the city and its residents.
- Provides community leadership.
As a council member, the mayor's official power is no greater than any other council member, and the office has no veto power. The mayor executes official documents, makes appointments subject to the approval of the council and presides at council meetings. As the official head of the city, the mayor serves as spokesperson for both the government and the community.
In January, each council member is appointed to quarterly assignments as liaisons for the various city boards and commissions. These include the Planning Commission, Parks and Natural Resources Commission, Economic Development Commission and Audit and Investment Commission.